I Love My Park Day 2016 Events
More than 100 parks and historic sites are hosting I Love My Park Day events on May 7, 2016. This year's event is our biggest yet! To help celebrate the fifth anniversary of I Love My Park Day, PTNY and NY State Parks are excited to expand the event to public lands in the Adirondacks and Catskills managed by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, as well as several National Park Service sites in celebration of NPS’s centennial.
There are two ways to learn more about the events and to register:
- Click on the park name below for additional details and a link to register for that event.
- Click on the map to find an event near you and follow the link to register.
If you wish to register a group of 10 or more, please use our Group Registration Form.
Please note that DEC and National Park Service sites have different registration forms.
2016 Participating Parks and Historic Sites*
*List in progress
- Hudson River Special Management Area, Lake George Wild Forest - Registration closed - event is full
- John Brown Farm State Historic Site (as part of annual John Brown Day and inaugural Spirit of John Brown Freedom Awards)
- Otter Creek Horse Trails
Capital District / Saratoga
- Bennington Battlefield State Historic Site
- Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor (at Peebles Island State Park)
- Grafton Lakes State Park
- John Boyd Thacher State Park
- Mine Kill State Park
- Moreau Lake State Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Peebles Island State Park
- Saratoga National Historical Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Saratoga Spa State Park
- Schodack Island State Park
- Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site
- Schuyler Mansion State Historic Site
- Ulysses S. Grant Cottage State Historic Site
- Chenango Valley State Park
- Chittenango Falls State Park - Event has been moved to Green Lakes State Park
- Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum
- Clark Reservation State Park
- Delta Lake State Park
- Fort Ontario State Historic Site
- Gilbert Lake State Park
- Glimmerglass State Park
- Green Lakes State Park
- Herkimer Home State Historic Site
- Old Erie Canal State Park, Madison County Corridor (Oneida)
- Oquaga Creek State Park
- Pixley Falls State Park
- Selkirk Shores State Park
- Verona Beach State Park
- Catharine Valley Trail
- Chimney Bluffs State Park
- Fair Haven Beach State Park
- Fillmore Glen State Park
- Ganondagan State Historic Site
- Genesee Valley Greenway
- Hamlin Beach State Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Ithaca Dog Park at the Allan H. Treman Marine State Park
- Letchworth State Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Long Point State Park
- Robert H. Treman State Park
- Sampson State Park
- Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park
- Stony Brook State Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Taughannock Falls State Park
- **Two Rivers State Park Recreation Area** Please note: This event has been rescheduled for June 4. You may continue to register for this event until then.
- Women's Rights National Historical Park
- Bannerman Island - Registration closed - event is full
- Bear Mountain, Trailside Museums and Zoo
- Blauvelt State Park
- Clermont State Historic Site
- Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park
- Harlem Valley Rail Trail
- Harriman State Park (Beaver Pond Campground)
- Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve
- Jay Heritage Center
- John Jay Homestead State Historic Site
- Minnewaska State Park Preserve
- Minnewaska State Park Preserve - Sam's Point Area - Event has been cancelled due to wildfire
- Olana State Historic Site
- Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic Park
- Rockefeller State Park Preserve
- Staatsburgh State Historic Site
- Taconic State Park
- Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park
- Bayard Cutting Arboretum State Park
- Belmont Lake State Park
- Bethpage State Park
- Bethpage State Park - Trails
- Caleb Smith State Park Preserve
- Captree State Park
- Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve
- Connetquot River State Park Preserve
- Fire Island National Seashore - Registration closed - event is full
- Hallock State Park
- Heckscher State Park
- Hempstead Lake State Park
- Jones Beach State Park
- Montauk Point State Park
- Nissequogue River State Park
- Orient Beach State Park
- Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Robert Moses State Park
- Sunken Meadow State Park (Alfred E. Smith)
- Valley Stream State Park
- Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic Site
- Wildwood State Park
New York City
- Clay Pit Ponds State Park Preserve
- East River State Park - Registration closed - event is full
- FDR Four Freedoms Park
- Gantry Plaza State Park
- Gateway National Recreation Area - Great Kills (Staten Island)
- Gateway National Recreation Area - Plumb Beach (Jamaica Bay, Queens) (Event hosted by NYC H2O)
- Hudson River Park
- Riverbank State Park
- Roberto Clemente State Park
- Allegany State Park - Registration closed - event is full
- Artpark State Park (Earl W. Brydges) - Registration closed - event is full
- Evangola State Park
- Golden Hill State Park
- Knox Farm State Park
- Niagara Falls State Park
- Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve - Registration closed - event is full
- Wilson-Tuscarora State Park
- Whirlpool State Park
In addition to the events at state and national parks listed above, local parks get in the spirit too! Below is a list of local parks that are hosting events.
- The Central New York Conservancy will be hosting volunteer events in all three of Utica’s Olmsted-designed parks: FT and TR Proctor Park, Roscoe Conkling Park, as well as on the Memorial Parkway. Volunteers will be assigned to clean-up crews in one of the 3 parks or the Memorial parkway. All crews will have a leader and clean-up will occur between the hours of 10am-1pm. Volunteers of all ages are welcome, though those under the age of 12 should be accompanied by a parent or adult group leader. Volunteers are asked to bring their own tools – gloves and rakes in particular. Trash bags and tarps will be supplied. To volunteer, please contact Peter Falzarine, executive director for the Central New York Conservancy, at 315.735.5534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring Fest at Copes Corners Park in the Town of Butternuts (Otsego County). 10am-6pm. There will be music, vendors, reduced-rate camping, a zoo-mobile and other attractions.
- Harlem Grown: Saturday May 7th, 11am-3pm, 118 W 134th St. Volunteer farm tasks such as composting, bed prep and working with our students. Learn more.
- Henry Hudson Park, Selkirk, NY (off Route 144 onto Barent Winne Road). Organized by Friends of Bethlehem Parks and Recreation. Download a flyer with more details.
- The Owego Dog Owners Group (ODOG) will be hosting its first I Love My Park Day event on May 7, 2016 with cleanup and beautification projects at the Rebecca Weitsman Memorial Dog Park located within Hickories Park in Owego. Join the event anytime from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. Refreshments will be served. Bring gloves, rakes, and shovels. For more information contact email@example.com or call 607-372-1893.
- The Friends of Parish parks is planning a spring park spruce-up day at 2 small parks in the Village of Parish. Volunteers will assist with painting and gardening at both Canfield Park and the Gazebo Park both in the Village of Parish. Meet at the Gazebo Park (co. rt 69 and co. rt 69a) at 10:00 am. Event should be finished by 1:00 pm. Download a flyer.
- Rome Clean and Green is hosting a city-wide park and trail cleanup event from 12pm-4pm. Download a flyer.
- The second-annual I Love My Schenectady Parks Day will be held on Saturday May 7th. Last year's event had over 100 volunteers, who picked up over a ton of garbage! Participating parks this year include Central Park, Jerry Burrell Park, Steinmetz Park, Riverside Park, Wallingford Park, Vale Park, Hillhurst Park Woodlawn and Woodlawn Preserve.Download a flyer with more information.
- The Olean Theatre Workshop’s and the Olean City School District’s AmeriCorps members are participating in "I Love My Park Day" at Oak Hill Park in Olean NY. The Mayor’s Office and the Parks Department are supporting this event. Invite all your friends to come and help, May 7 starting at 9:00 AM.
To publicize an I Love My Park Day event at a local park, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will advertise your event on our website, but we do not provide online registration services or T-shirts or banners for local parks.
Organizing an event and don't see your site listed? Let us know.